Food and Fitness

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mimi G's T-Shirt Maxi



I made this dress following the fabulous Mimi G's T Shirt Maxi Tutorial.


This tutorial is AMAZING!!! It is extremely well done and offers something for the experienced sewist, the novice and everyone in between. Not only does Mimi walk you through each step of creating the dress from an existing garment, you'll also learn how to create your own pattern, make the dress without a paper pattern, technique for installing sleeves, neck binding and how to make fit adjustments. Learning these techniques alone make this tutorial worth every penny of the $10.99. I've sewn for nearly 30 years and it took me years to master some of these things and this is my first time copying an existing garment. Mimi talks you through each step, explains WHY she's doing what she's doing and if that wasn't enough, she actually contructs her dress while you watch. The real beauty of this tutorial is that this dress looks great on all body types because you start with a T-shirt that you already know fits you the way you like. If you haven't already gotten your download please do you won't regret it! This will definitely be a wardrobe staple. I already have many other versions planned.

Pattern Description: T-Shirt Maxi Dress

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The dress looks exactly like the shirt I used

Were the instructions easy to follow? Extremely so.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I loved the level of detail in the intructions. Makes this a can't fail pattern option.

Fabric Used: ITY Jersey Knit

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: No alterations necessary since you create the pattern using a t-shirt that you already know fits you. One note though, using ITY knit again, I will stabilize the the neck binding with a knit interfacing so that it won't droop.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? You bet!

Conclusion: This will be my go to piece for fall layering. I.LOVE.THIS.DRESS.








10 comments:

  1. Really pretty! The fabric is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review, you got me thinking I need this tutorial cause I do not like sewing with a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WILL be checking this one out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the dresses you make, they are so flattering and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I love it. Must check this pattern out :) I've followed Mimi G's online tutorial for a maxi dress (not this one) before and she's just great :)

    ReplyDelete