Food and Fitness

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

McCalls 3280



Pattern Description: Top with various sleeve detail options. I made view E with the opening that goes nearly the full length of the arm.



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think so.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were very simple although the front facing for the keyhole was a bit odd. You actually cut the keyhole after you have stitched the facing at the neck line and along the stitching lines for the keyhole which means you really need to mark your pattern pieces well and pin down the facing piece well so that you get the key hole in the right place because once you cut it, you're stuck with it.




What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This came together fairly easily. I also liked that although this is an OOP pattern from 2000 but the style still works 10 years later.

Fabric Used: I used a polyester charmeuse I picked up at JoAnn's back in October. I was supposed to wear this on my birthday in November but didn't get around to it until now.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made my standard FBA and added two inches to the side seam. I also finished with a rolled edge hem instead of the two inch hem called for in the pattern as the rolled edge seems to work better for me with silky fabric.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I might sew this again. I like it but don't love it but it's easy and can be dressed up or down. I think I might add more length to it and add a fabric belt.

Conclusion: This is a cute little top. I recommend it if you can find it or it you have it hiding in your pattern stash. I remember thinking this would be too difficult for me when I bought it years ago. I only wish I would have made it sooner.



11 comments:

  1. Cute top! I like the key hole neckline and the fabric is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty top and also like the keyhole detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a really nice job on this one. I agree with everyone else I love the keyhole. This will be a nice addition to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty top, I love the detail and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very pretty top and I love the fabric you chose to make it in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the top and the fabric is beautiful! Great work as always.
    BTW, You are Member of the Week on CSRA PDU. I left you a msg.
    Again, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the extra details that the top has - from the arms to the key hole. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That fabric is beautiful! The open sleeve is such a fun detail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving the top and great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete